The Role of a Council Member
The City Council is the City’s legislative body, with the power to enact and enforce all ordinances and resolutions.
Eleven Council members are elected from districts and five are elected at-large, by all voters of the City.
The duties and responsibilities of City Council members include but are not limited to:
• act only by ordinance, resolution, or motion;
• adopt and may alter the annual budget;
• confirm the Mayor’s appointments;
• responsible for the appropriation and issuance of bonds;
• award contracts;
• approve City expenditures over $50,000;
• lease or dispose of the City’s real estate; and
• levy assessments against property.